Frequently Asked Questions
Questions about Holmatro rescue equipment
- Can Holmatro battery-operated tools be used in wet conditions?
Holmatro battery-operated tools are suitable for use in wet weather conditions. For more information on this topic, please refer to our press release.
- Can I stack two lifting bags on top of each other for more lifting height? Yes you can, but only with high-pressure lifting bags. Holmatro high-pressure lifting bags come with an interlocking profile. For reasons of safety, please make sure that the load is lifted on the middle of the lifting bag. If you stack two bags, place the top lifting bag centrally on the lower bag.
- Do Holmatro tools work under water as well? Yes, all Holmatro cutters, spreaders, combitools, rams, and hoses are suitable for use under water. Maximum depth allowed: 60 metres. For use in depths greater than 60 metres, special hoses are available on request. Certain hand pumps are also suitable for use under water. Please contact Holmatro for details.
- Does a Holmatro petrol pump always start? Yes, provided the engine oil level is checked regularly and the pump is maintained on a regular basis.
- Holmatro has a range of compact lightweight hydraulic pumps like the PPU / TPU10+ and PPU / TPU15. Is the oil content of these pumps sufficient for all Holmatro hydraulic rescue tools?
Yes, with every petrol and electric pump of the Holmatro range it is possible to operate every Holmatro hydraulic rescue tool – cutter, spreader, ram, telescopic ram or combitool –
at 100% capacity.
- If a hydraulic tool like a spreader, cutter or ram is pressurised and holding a load, can I disconnect the hoses? If I do so, can I still operate the tool by turning the control handle?
Yes, you can disconnect the hoses. Because of the non-return valves the tool will always hold the load, also when you disconnect the hoses
After disconnecting the hoses you can not operate the tool anymore. As soon as you let go of the control handle it will turn back to neutral position. The control handle will then no longer be under pressure. If hoses are no longer connected you will therefore not be able to operate the tool anymore.
- If I am lifting a load with a Holmatro spreader and all of a sudden the load increases to more than the spreader's capacity, does the spreader "collapse"? This situation might for example occur when you are lifting a piece of concrete and all of a sudden another heavy piece of concrete falls of top. Holmatro spreaders will not "collapse" as they are equipped with safety valves. If the load all of a sudden becomes (much) higher than the spreader's capacity, the safety valves will ensure the pressure in the spreader is released gradually i.e. that the spreader closes gradually and smoothly allowing the load to come to rest on the backup shoring or cribbing you have placed.
- Is it possible for a Holmatro tool to be operated by more than one person simultaneously?
The practice of more than one person operating or holding a tool simultaneously should be avoided at all times to ensure safety. The only exception to this is tools over the 25kg weight. These should be carried and positioned by more than one rescuer. In this case, however, it is essential that both rescuers know who is the actual operator of that tool.
- Up to what height can Holmatro equipment be used? Cutters, spreaders, combitools, rams and other tools will always work, no matter the height. The critical piece of equipment is the pump. Standard Holmatro pumps are suitable for use up to 1500 metres. For use on higher altitudes, please notify Holmatro; ex-factory we can adjust the carburettor.
- What fuel does a Holmatro petrol pump run on? Unleaded petrol
- Why are there various colour Holmatro hydraulic hoses. Do they indicate different capacities?
All Holmatro hydraulic hoses have the same capacity of 720 bar, all have a 4:1 safety margin. The only reason there are different colours is to allow for better identification of which tool is being operated and to ensure clear communication on the rescue scene.
Find a dealer
To contact a Holmatro dealer, select a country from the list below:
Login as a dealer