Service & support
Frequently Asked Questions
More questions about Maintenance
- Can I repair my own hydraulics? Holmatro hydraulics should be repaired by authorized Holmatro agents. Special tools are needed to insert the new seals in place in order to ensure zero leakage. Please contact the nearest Holmatro dealers or service agent.
- How can I clean my hydraulic system if it has become contaminated? If the oil becomes contaminated the whole system needs to be flushed with new oil. Fully extend all the cylinders so all the oil is drained from the cylinders into the reservoir. Then drain all the contaminated oil from the reservoir. Clean the reservoir, and fill it with new oil and replace the filter. Disconnect the hoses from the cylinders bleed out the old oil from all hydraulic lines. Each hydraulic line will need to be bleed individually at each cylinder. Connect the fittings to the cylinders and re-bleed the hydraulic lines. Make sure the oil quality does not exceed ISO 4406: 1999 18/15/12.
- How often should I change the oil and filter in my hydraulic system? The filter should be changed one year after the system is initially installed. The filter should be checked every year. Every 3 years the filter and oil must be replaced by new oil and filter.
- If during operation a mast-jack (plunger) extends in a jerky manner, this may point to air in the system. The jack then needs to be bleeded.
One can solve this problem by placing the jack upside down, pumping it out and letting the oil return to the pump. The pump has to be placed higher than the jack. This way, all air is removed from the system through the air relief valve of the pump.
- The hydraulic cylinder, vang or integral leaks oil, why? Probably the plungerrod is damaged / worn and damaged the seals. Please sent to Holmatro or the nearest Holmatro agent for service / repair.
- The integral doesn’t work? Probably there is some air in the pump of the integral. See the airventing instruction how to solve this problem.
- What can I do if my Integral Backstay adjuster does not hold pressure?
The most common reason for an integral not holding pressure is an air lock or worn out seals. You can get rid of an air lock by going thru the “airventing instruction”. If air venting does not cure the problem the cylinder will need to be sent to the nearest Holmatro hydraulic service center for new seals.
- What kind of oil do I need for my Integral backstay adjuster, hydraulic panel, or hydraulic cylinder? Hydraulic oils used with Holmatro equipment should be premium mineral based, antiwear oils that have anti-foam and anticorrosion additives. They should have the following minimum properties: Viscosity grade of ISO15 or ISO22, viscosity index of 110, and a pour point of -20°C (-10°F). Holmatro recommends the following oils: see "Holmatro Oil Comparison"
- What should be the oil cleanliness code for my hydraulic system? Holmatro demands oil quality of ISO 4406: 1999 18/15/12
- Which maintenance needs an integral? Clean the integral regularly with fresh water (piston rod and pumphandle) and whipe these parts with a greasy cloth.
Find a dealer
To contact a Holmatro dealer, select a country from the list below: